Friday, April 12, 2013

Wooden Plaque 3

This was another plaque that I made as a gift. It is a verse from the Bible.

Wood : Vengail wood. This is a heavy hard wood used for furniture in South India. This is the first time I was using this wood. It is good wood, but the grains are not very pronounced. The grains were close and parallel, and not visible well on staining.

Rounding : Using a router table and a rounding over bit. For my previous plaques I used a bevel cut with a jigsaw. For this I rounded over the sides to see how they looked.

Letters : 6mm plywood with a laminate. This was cut with a proxxon DS 230E scroll saw.

Finish : Asian paints clear varnish after staining with sheenlac rosewood stain.

Fixing the letters. : I pre-drilled thin holes with a dremel (Thanks Anandit!). This made hammering the nails much easier.

Hanging : Used copper wire and hooks for hanging it up. This self centers the pieces and is more rigid that a string or a single keyhole.

Wooden plaque made of Vengai wood : I know the plans I have for you

No comments:

Post a Comment