Sunday, April 14, 2013

Small wooden wall shelf

I had some pieces of finger jointed rubber that I wanted to use as a shelf.  Here is how it went. Dimensions were based on the pieces I had

Wood : Finger jointed wood, 18mm for the base and the cross bar, 12 mm for the sides.

Finish : Sheenlac walnut stain, with an asian paints varnish wiped over it.

The finished product : This was the first time I experimented with dowels for anchoring the sides. This seemed very solid, however I think the quality of my dowels was not very good. I must try making my own dowels.

Secondly a bit of fevicol peeping out of the joint took up stain deeply and appeared as blotches. I have to be a little more careful next time.

Book Shelf : Unstained finger jointed wood. Sides joined with dowels
Empty book shelf stained with Sheenlac walnut stain to match the picture above.  Fixed to the wall with two screws

Wooden book shelf bearing a full weight of books. 

3 comments:

  1. Perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete