Saturday, December 22, 2012

Under bed storage : Basic trundle

I suppose most houses in India have the same problem as I do : Too little storage space. A lot of our winter clothes (Vellore actually has no winter) lie in suitcases that are pushed under the bed. Gradually they go deeper and deeper under the bed, until the day I swim deep in the dust and fish the box out, only to find that it does not have the piece I am looking for.
I have the same problem in my make  do workshop where I would like to store items under the bed. (My present work area is our guest room, permission for which my wife has so graciously granted). So after looking at various trundle type storage units on the web, I decided to make a basic one.

There is nothing to it actually. It is an 10 mm MDF board with 6 small wheels screwed underneath. The advantage of this is that the items will not get scratched, and pulling it out is far easier.


The under side of the trundle with six wheels. My son is hiding behind it.

My little daughter trying to push my son off the trundle. It makes a good toy

Under bed storage with at trundle

The trundle with some boxes that will finally roll under the bed
 I plan to use a similar model for my gas cylinder and for my rice storage container some time in the future.




10 comments:

  1. Very useful project this is Vinay. Sometimes we are divided between putting a cabinet under the cot and leaving it empty. This is something inbetween. Serves the purpose and also makes it easy to clean under the cot. Thanks for the share. Will remember this when I need to do something like this.

    Btw, just wondering if you should add a handle or something to make it easy to pull the entire board out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Somu. Yes a handle will be a great idea. I will install one after my next trip to the hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About 20 years back we used to have a bed with which essentially was a box structure. It had a plenty of storage. Though it never looked good. I have been looking at storage options for last 6 years which do not involve a box type bed as it has many disadavntages ie ugly to look at and very heavy to move around, the box can be accessed but one has to first lift the mattress which become cumbersome and it cant be dismantled for moving.
    I have come up with some solutions which solve all the above issues. Though I havent implemented them yet. One is have a regular bed but one which incorporates a bedskirt fabric which hides the portion below the bed and have small boxes about 4 per double bed two linked to each other by means of rope. Here you get plastic like large wheels approx 6-10 inches in dia which can be attached to the side of the box in such a manner that the box is barely an inch off the ground. I have made the beds and have been using them for last 5 years but the boxes are still on the drawing board. I too personally do not like dirt under the bed and would love to have a bed with wheels which can be moved around to keep the floor underneath squeaky clean. I recently found some tripod like low base wheel sets somewhat like a mechanics under car dolly which can be easily showed under a leg of the bed and you can just push it away easily. I'll share the details in future on my long neglected blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kittu. Please do share some pics of the design and especially the type of wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice idea! very useful! how can I make one? I mean from where will I get wheels etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. PDF can be bought from any plywood store. Wheels can be bought from a larger hardware store, the one that supplies carpenters with furniture fittings. The smaller hardware stores in peripheries of towns may only have nails screws etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very good idea for under bed storage! Simple but very effective. Not enough people use the storage under their bed properly, if at all. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Post I like nice furniture
    It looks better than even when it was new.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need a set of those for every bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. excellent idea and execution too. I need to make a couple of these.

    ReplyDelete