Friday, April 27, 2012

Hanging up your tools

I have always had problems finding my tools. A part of the problem lies with me. I am quite tardy when it comes to keeping back my tools. Sometimes zealous cleaning up by the maid or others at home changes the organized mess. Often it is my son who takes away a tool or so and misplaces it.
This tool hanger was initially started off  by my father. It was a waste piece of 1 inch block wood that was lying around. He fixed two metal hanging mounts ( I am not sure of the correct term) and used two nails each to hang up my hammers. It lay there for a long time until I decided to hang up some other tools. I chose the tools I would use often : hammers, pliers, screwdrivers and some clamps. Each tool is held up by two strategically placed screws. For screwdrivers and the nail remover there are some screws at the lower end too to stabilize them.
The piece is not finished but is extremely functional. It will be some time before I actually paint it. I can now recognize immediately if any tool is missing. As this is in my workshop (a.k.a. balcony) it is always available.
I plan to hang up more of these small wood pieces to hold my tools. I have seen peg boards on the net where everything is neatly arranged. I have never actually worked with pegboard. But until then this is how my tool ar hung up. 

2 comments:

  1. finished or not, this block of wood sure is serving the purpose. I want to get one done for myself too... I find it so difficult to browse through my tools shelf to pull out the things I want... Sometimes they fall off or go missing and that makes me go crazy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. good.
    In case you want more ideas you could search on Pinterest too :)

    ReplyDelete