Monday, May 26, 2014

Magnetic knife holder

This is a magnetic knife holder made from karuvelam (babul) wood. The edges are rounded over using a router.
Knife holder from babul wood using neodymium magnets. Two 5 mm magnets used for each knife. 
I used two 5 mm neodymium magnets for each knife. I drilled a sligthly smaller hole and then tightly pressed the magnet in using a C-clamp. This ensured a tight fit. I used a bit of fevicol just to be on the safe side.

Impressions
The knives stay on. However not all knives are magnetic. Really heavy knives do not stay. I did not add much finish to it. Now that this holder is used a lot, I have noticed some black staining on the wood from the magnets. This is most likely due to hanging up wet knives on the holder.

On retrospect A larger magnet could have been used with a thin piece of wood protecting it. It is a bit scary having all your knives hanging there, and I plan to build a normal knife holder later on. 

2 comments:

  1. It’s great. I like wood. The information good for me. I like décor my home by wood. I have problem with cutting board 45 and 90 degree. Do you sharing tips? I want to décor crib for my daughter next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for your sharing. I read information very late, your article is closed but congrats to our winner. I bought Dewalt miter saw. It very good, I think I create anything that join contest

    ReplyDelete