Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wooden Plaque 2

The final plaque hung on the wall

This was the second wooden plaque that I recently made. It is a verse from the Bible, John 17:19, also a gift. This was easier to make as I was working on a deadline and I had already learned valuable lessons while making the wooden plaque 1

Equipment used :

Proxxon Scroll Saw DS 230 E
Skil Jigsaw

Base : Vengai wood 1.5 inch think, thinned down on a planer in the lumber mill to about 1 inch thick to decrease weight. The curves were drawn free hand and then cut out with a jigsaw at a 45 degree bevel. The base was then sanded using an orbital sander to get a smooth finsih.

Insecticide : Applied with a brush and wait for it to dry compeletely.

Stain : Sheenlac walnut stain. I decided to go for a brown finish. Applied with a brush and then wiped off within a minute. I applied about three or four coats of stain to get a darkish brown color. The grain stains nice and dark.

Varnish :  Used 'touchwood' clear varnish. I applied three coats of varnish with sanding inbetween with 400 grit paper.


The letters : Used thin plywood (about 3-4 mm) with a laminated piece stuck over it. I made the initial design using MS powerpoint, and then printed it out. I traced the letters out with carbon paper.

The MS powerpoint plan of the plaque.
Printing it out life size simplified the  drawing process

Cutting the letters : This was done using a scroll saw. It was very easy to do this, although it did take a bit of time.

Cleaning : The blue carbon remnants were removed using thinner

Fixing the letters : With fevicol initially. Then all thick letters were hammered through with headless nails.

Hanging it up. Two small hooks across which I attached some Galvanized Iron (GI) wire. This centers automatically.

Impressions.  : This whole project took about a week to make. The longest time taken was actually waiting fore each coat of varnish to dry. The first coat of varnish never dried in 24 hrs. I wiped it off with turpentine, and diluted the varnish a bit. This dried in 24 hrs. Subsequent coats dried faster. I am not sure why. Perhaps the already dried varnish hastened the process. Perhaps the opening and closing of the varnish tin caused it to be more easily dried. However I stuck to three coats. Dust did settle. I noticed the last time that if I went for many coats of varnish and sanding,  I got a smooth mirror finish but  the final dust was very prominent. Now there are slight depressions in the varnish over the grain. Thus the dust is not very visible as it is camouflaged.
 I did try using the PILOT airless spray gun, but the project was too small to bother cleaning the gun every time.


The final plaque 


11 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a really good looking board. I really love the letters that have come out clean and neat. You sure have a steady hand Vinay.

    What is the insecticide for btw ?

    One tip a carpenter gave me for clear varnish was to mix it with sealant to get a matt finish. And interestingly it dries up quickly too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice piece of work ! letters are perfect and good polishing!
    Is that letter engraving can be done with a router or any specific reasons for choosing a scroll saw?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Somu and Mach power
    I will try mixing varnish and sealant. That is a great tip.
    The insecticide. I am not sure what the insecticide is. For the first plaque I bought a small tin of about 250 ml from a paint shop. They usually have many bottles of it. For this one I used a left over insecticide that said "for agricultural use only". It was different from the first one. The first one smelt like kerosene and evaporated fast. The second one smelt a lot and did not dry fast. I suspect the smelly one was not to be used for wood but I used it anyway.
    Cutting the letters with a router will be difficult as details are very fine. The letters are only one inch by one inch, and so the scroll saw is the right tool for it. I suppose one could do it with a fine router bit, but a scroll saw is so much easier. Clamping such small pieces will be tricky. With a scroll saw one can safely maneuver the piece around and cut as fine as one wants to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your are really profficient with the scroll saw, wonderfully carved letters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job. Can you tell a bit more about Vengai? What scroll saw do you use? can you give some details about it like price, features and where purchased it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job. Can you tell a bit more about Vengai? What scroll saw do you use? can you give some details about it like price, features and where purchased it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kittu
    Vengai is one of the local woods available in Tamil Nadu. I am not sure of the English name but I think it is the Red Sander. Check this link http://agrowmania.blogspot.in/2009/06/pterocarpus-santalinus-red-sanders.html As far as I know it is about 2400 per cubic foot (sathram)and is about half the cost of teak wood. It is routinely used for furniture and door posts etc and is considered one of the more costly woods (apart from teak.) People say it runs color when water falls on it. I have not tried doing so. It is a hard wood. A similar costing wood is Irulai.
    The scroll saw is a PROXXON DS 230E. This is the only one I could find available in India. It cost me Rs 12600 inclusive of customs, taxes and shipping. I will post a review about it soon. It is a small saw. I have never used any other. It is available in India from UMS technology at http://www.umstech.in/view_product_details.php?pid=117&cat=Proxxon%20Products&section=products
    I think this is the one available in the UK market with that power rating. On reading scroll saw websites I realize that this is not the standard scroll saw, and there are other standard companies that provide scroll saws in the US. I have used the scroll saw quite a bit to cut out the letters.
    I will post a complete review about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. We've long been thinking on create one for our HT setup, which says "DTS".

    www.hififreak.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. Do post some pics of your finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vinay,

    Could you please share your experience with the PILOT sprayer for spraying varnish / clearcoat / lacquer? Which model do you have?

    ReplyDelete