Thursday, March 15, 2012

Simple Bookshelf

When we moved into our new house one of the first things that caught our eye was a large empty space.We assume this was meant for a TV, but we already had a TVstand that we did not want to dispose of. Therefor this large empty space was left unused. It was too high and too deep to be wasted on one layer of books or decorative items and so we tried to build a small bookshelf.

To make this I used the one foot wide block wood strips that I still had. I used three initial strips to make a H shaped structure. I screwed in the horizontal piece from the sides using three screws per side. Once the H shaped structure was made I measured out the width of the empty space and then made a wooden piece of that length. I fixed this on top of the H shaped structure again using screws from above. As I used thin guide holes the screws were quite firm. I thought some sort of partitioning of the top would look nice. I had curved pieces of wood that were remaining from the curves I cut out of the children's table. I placed these on the top and screwed them in from below to get the two curved partitions on the shelf.
To get the finish I used primer, metal putty to fill the big holes and finally wood putty to get a smooth finish. I think used two coats of a brown glossy paint.
The finished bookshelf now houses CDs, books, cassettes and our little fish tank with our lone goldfish 'inky' in it. It actually holds a lot of books. We understood how much it holds only when we removed all the books and stacked them on the table.
I now have a half a litre of brown paint to finish off in addition to the purple and pink.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good looking design! You redeemed this space and gave it nearly triple the book-storing capacity and a nice look. Well-done!

    ReplyDelete