Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Cracks in wood

 One of the problems that I have been facing is the many cracks that develop in wood as it dries. I have been planning to use karuvelam wood (babul) for making a bunk bed. Drying it outside caused cracks at the end. From what I have read this seems to be due to drying too fast. (Vellore now has temperatures above 40 degrees Centigrade). I plan to dry it indoors so that the process is a little slower and see if this helps.
Cracks in wood
Cracks that developed in Babul wood on drying rapidly (karuvelam wood)

(This is my first post using windows live writer)

2 comments:

  1. At least part of your problem is that moisture escapes wood faster through the end grain. This is a problem with most woods, though some species are worst than others and as you note is impacted by how fast you dry the wood.

    The common practice is to try to seal up the end grain. Paint, wax and special sealers can be used for this. Anything that can fill up the pores so that mositure is forced out through the sides will work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for that suggestion. I will try that out.

      Delete