Sunday, August 26, 2012

Wooden animals and figures

Wooden animals made from 12 mm finger jointed rubber wood
These wooden animals were made from 12 mm finger jointed wood. They were just the right thickness so that they can stand upright. I used some figures that I saw in a scroll saw book scroll saw basics, with a few  modifications. I used a proxxon DS 230 E scroll saw. Cutting through the wood was a little slow, but otherwise this was a very simple project. A little bit of sanding was required for finishing. Such kind of figures can be extended to make a farm set, along with trees and houses or a zoo etc. I drilled a hole right through for the eyes. Also shown below is a set of people.

Wooden people made from 12 mm finger jointed rubber.

The complete set of animals and figurines

5 comments:

  1. You seem to be pretty adept at this. Suggest you look up marquetry. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Indranil. I looked up Marquetry. I am also inclined to try some intarsia once I gather some different coloured woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VINAY!!!! So cool to check out your blog. I had no idea you are a woodworker! I love working with wood. Probably something I'll pick up again when I finally "retire" LOL. I always loved the feel of wood and the smells as you work it. My Dad had a "Shopsmith" which was a kind of all-in-one tool: saw, lathe, disc sander, belt sander, drill press, scroll saw, and just about any attachment you could think of. I had a lot of fun with that thing, and almost lost a digit or two along the way. ;-) I still have all 10, though, thankfully.

    So consider your blog bookmarked! :-)

    Millard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Millard. Yes I enjoy woodworking whenever I get the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Fantastic project...got your link from Somu of Woodz
    Cheers from Bangalore, India
    Sonia
    cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete