Friday, May 4, 2012

Work table from a computer table

I have always wanted a work table. Let me say this is one of the few things that I could actually say I really needed.
When I initially started woodworking I used to saw placing the plank of wood on one chair , stamping it with one leg, and cut balancing on the other. Crude, but it used to work. I needed newspaper to prevent the chair from getting scratches. All hammering was on the floor at times when I hoped the downstair family was away at work. Some cutting was even done placing a plank of wood on my balcony wall.
I visited a number of websites showing one how to make a table. However there were three problems.
1. Most of the websites described a liberal use of wood. Wood is expensive in India.
2. A table has to be solid. If your joining skills are not good, even the best and thickest beams will wobble.
3. I did not have space for a large table.
Dremel does offer a small project table for about Rs. 2000, but I decided against that as this had to be anyway fit on another table. However this still remains a tempting proposition.
I did think of a folding table and looked up designs on the web. But then you can't leave things lying around on a folding table, and it is not as though one can use the freed up space for other things after all. I was not sure if I would be able to get it stable enough.
What I finally did was to convert an old computer table into a work table. I have added a carpenter's vice on it. This serves the purpose. It is not elegant, but reasonably functional. I say reasonably functional as it serves all the functions that I need it to (which is not saying very much as of now).
Most computer tables are made of fiber board or particle board with think laminates covering it. They look appealing in their design. But a more careful look at the design will identify weal joining : invariably only screws are used to join the shelves. Often the design incorporates a large flat table top with poor support in the center, so the top can sag. Many of them also have wheels which adds to their instability.
However this table was a solid combination of metal and ply. I got this in Oddanchatram in 2004 and has served as my computer table since until we started using laptops. It was now free. I had already stripped the non essential plywood to make up a hanger for spoons for the kitchen.
It has a metal framework. Solid and heavy that form the frame of the table along with the crossbars. It also has some leveling screws on the bottom. (Do not assume your floor is uniform)
So a functional (not very beautiful table can be made by carefully selecting any old table. If you cannot find an old table, consider getting a local welder to weld together the legs and cross bars and drill holes at strategic points. You can add the plywood to any desired dimension on top.
One important thing is that the table must be heavy enough not to move. If wood is clamped and one is using a hand planer, there is a tendency of the table to wobble. A lighter table can be pushed against a wall.
Having a dedicated table is really useful, whatever table it is. Having clamps is like having an extra pair of sturdy hands. 

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, having clamps is certainly a plus... And your makeshift work table looks really nice ! I wish I could have a dedicated work table too... Sometimes cutting or sanding while sitting on the floor does not go well with my back... If I spend hours together on the floor, I end up with a bad ache in the back !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Somu. Yes working on the floor was inconvenient. I have found that projects are so much easier now and I tend to do more with less strain with the table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you could add some holes for bench dogs they are real useful. Also some small jigs to use to trim small pieces of wood will make life easier called shooting boards and bench hook.

    http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Workbench/Images/End%20clamped.jpg
    Bench dogs need not be metal just small small removable peices of wood which go in a hole on the bench. It is really like clamping a piece horizontally on the bench surface. Helps a lot in planing etc.

    Shooting board and bench hook. The lower lip catches the edge of the table and the upper one is used to hold the wood in place for trimming wood either on the side or at the end depending on the type of bench hook used.

    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/download?mid=90e6c00ac180dd843b2e33f081a6a142&rtyp=lt&ctyp=other&ts=1240030349000

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot Kittu. I will try to incorporate them as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. I'm in the process of drawing out one of my own. I work from home and spend 4-10 hours a day at the computer and I've looked at thousands of desk but none are designed the way I want mine to work.Double TV Bed in Brown

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete