Friday, October 11, 2013

Wooden Pen Stand

This is a pen stand that I made from finger jointed rubber wood.
Pen stand made from finger jointed rubber wood

To make it I stuck four identical pieces of 12 mm finger jointed rubber wood to make the sides. Once they had partially dried I stuck it to another piece of wood for the bottom. I trimmed the pieces using my home made table saw. However I over trimmed the pieces and made a deep cut into the wood. I therefore trimmed it on all sides both on the top and at the bottom to leave a raised area in the middle.

A name was cut out from thin teak veneer and stuck on one side to personalize the gift.

The top and the bottom was routed with a round over bit to round the edges.

Finally a finish of varnish quickly wiped away deepened the color and gave it a matte finish..

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see you haven't given up woodworking altogether!
    best wishes

    ReplyDelete